Sunday, June 29, 2014

AMENITY: SAN DIEGO FINEST

Among the numerous punk scenes which spawned in Cali from North to South (Oxnard, Fresno, S. Francisco, Los Angeles, Berkeley, Orange County are surely the most renowned), San Diego was a very particular one back in the 80s. And I wanna take the first steps from it.

Violence and Straight Edge were the main features of early Hardcore bands like Exploited-driven Battalion Of Saints (their EP/Album "Second Coming" is just epic), but I personally think that the most interesting phase came out at the end of the decade, with the influential Amenity. 
I see the similarity with Chain Of Strength, Insted and Zack De La Rocha's Inside Out is very close and clear, they also paved the way for a new generation of Noise music in the 90s, whose eclectic punkster Justin Pearson is doubtlessly the king (he comes from the same background as Amenity, nonetheless his first hardcore debut was Struggle).
King's Rd Cafe and Che Cafe stood as the most notable venues in which played the hardcore daddies Social Distortion, Minor Threat, Husker Du, D.O.A., Middle Class and so on, in the famous row of shows called "Dead Or Alive".

I once discovered Amenity by a pure chance in Youtube (didn't know nothing about them before), when I been searching for a punk song containing the word "hate". Then I stumbled upon "So Much Hate", a beautiful, melodic track of theirs featured in Forward Into The Past album.  Although, I love their early works too, such as this EP uploaded by me and other footage I've found I'll be putting up for you.... Enjoy.

XXO, Valery.














A special thanks goes to Ché Underground San Diego Blog
for having provided these great flyers.

No comments:

Post a Comment